Creating Good Jobs
Nearly 50,000 security officers have united with SEIU in Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Columbus, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Portland, the San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento, Seattle, and Washington, D.C.
Working together with security companies, building owners, elected officials and community leaders, we have won significant industry improvements–including in officer wages and benefits — and done so without putting any single security company at a competitive disadvantage.
Our market-wide approach to uniting workers recognizes the competitive nature of the industry and allows market-leading companies to raise standards simultaneously, ending the counterproductive “race to the bottom” in wages and benefits and instead allowing companies to compete on the basis of innovation, safety, and overall quality of service.
By implementing market-wide standards for building security, we are helping to create good jobs for our communities and working to lower turnover, improve training, and make the public safer.
Here are some examples:
- Officers in Washington D.C. won 32% higher wages. The minimum hourly wage for union officers is now $13.25, and all officers have employer provided health and retirement benefits.
- Los Angeles officers won an average of 25% wage increases over 5 years.
- Seattle security officers are now guaranteed wage increases each year for 5 years.
- Minneapolis security officers won individual health coverage for $20 per month by the end of their contract, and more affordable family coverage for $270 per month.
- Officers across Los Angeles now have 80-100% employer-paid health insurance guaranteed by the end of their contract and they have access to affordable family coverage.